Open for Business

We’re building a new website for East Devon and want to know what you think.

Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction (known as Council Tax Support)

Let the benefits team know promptly about any change in circumstances which could affect your claim for Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support. If not we'll be banking on you to pay £50 each time you don't tell us about your Housing Benefit claim and £70 for each Council Tax Support claim.

If you can't find the information about Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction that you want in the table below, please call our Helpline on 01395 517446.

Apply for Housing Benefit or a Council Tax Reduction Find out if you may be entitled to Housing Benefit and/or a Council Tax Reduction and how much you could get.
Appeals Do you think we have got your Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction wrong? Find out how to appeal against our decision.
Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction Calculator Use our on-line calculator to give you an idea of how much Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction you might be entitled to get.
Benefits and grants Further help, grants and benefits.
Changes in circumstances Find out what you need to tell us if your circumstances change.
Contact us Fill in the online form or see the contact details for Benefits and Council Tax.
Disablement If you or a member of your household are disabled, find out the help that is available.
Don't make a move! Find out what you need to know before you move.
Exceptional Hardship Funds You may be able to get extra help if your benefit does not cover the cost of your rent or Council Tax.
Fraud Benefit fraud is a crime. Find out how you can help us to catch the benefit cheats.
Leaflets and forms We have a range of benefit leaflets and forms to help you.
Landlords Advice and information for landlords
Local Housing Allowance (LHA) Find out what LHA is , how it may affect the amount of benefit you can get, who we will pay it to and what the current rates are.
Overpayments What happens if we pay you too much Housing and/or Council Tax Reduction?
Paying benefit Find out how and PDF file when (153KB Portable Document Format - 07 March 2014 - PDF Help) we will pay your benefit.
Second Adult Reduction If you are pension age and  you are not entitled to a Council Tax Reduction  yourself, you may still be able to get Second Adult Reduction .
Surgery dates Surgeries are held weekly in Axminster, Cranbrook, Honiton and Seaton. For more information see surgery dates.
Temporary Absence from Home Find out what happens to your benefit if you are temporarily away from home.
Vulnerable tenants What do we mean by a vulnerable tenant and how may it affect payment of housing benefit?
What do we mean? Sometimes you may need a fuller explanation of the terms we use, such as non-dependants, applicable amount, income and capital. Find out about some of the more common ones.

Page last updated on 28 January 2015