Council Tax Support
Council Tax Support was introduced in April 2013 and replaced Council Tax Benefit. East Devon District Council has a local policy for working age customers.
For customers who have reached the age to claim State Pension Credit the Government has set out a national scheme.
What Do We Mean By Working Age?
By working age we mean anyone aged between 16 and State Pension Credit age.
What Is Council Tax Support?
East Devon District Council’s Council Tax Support scheme has the following elements:
- An 80% limit on Council Tax Support. This means that all working age customers have to pay at least 20% of their Council Tax bill.
- A savings limit of £8,000. This means that if you and your partner in total have savings and other investments over £8,000 you cannot claim Council Tax Support.
- Limiting Council Tax Support to a Band D Council Tax charge. This means that if you claim Council Tax Support and live in a Band E, F, G or H property the maximum Council Tax Support you can receive is 80% of a Band D charge for the parish that you live in.
- An Exceptional Hardship Fund. The Exceptional Hardship Fund has been set up to help to limit the impact of the Council Tax Support scheme for our most financially vulnerable customers. To make a claim please download and complete the Exceptional Hardship Fund application form (171KB Portable Document Format - 13 March 2014 - PDF Help). You can also view the Exceptional Hardship Fund policy. (126KB Portable Document Format - 13 March 2014 - PDF Help)
You can download the full Council Tax Support policy for 2014/15 (1114KB Portable Document Format - 07 March 2014 - PDF Help). You can also download the full Council Tax Support policy for 2013/14 (552KB Portable Document Format - 10 April 2013 - PDF Help). These policies come into effect on the 1st of April each year, and apply for the whole financial year. Any Council Tax Support awarded is based on the policy which applies for the financial year the award has been made.
Also available to download are:
- The Equality Analysis for the Council Tax Support scheme (171KB Portable Document Format - 10 April 2013 - PDF Help)
- Our vulnerability and incentivising work statement (172KB Portable Document Format - 04 December 2012 - PDF Help).
Page last updated on 31 July 2014