Open for Business

We’re building a new website for East Devon and want to know what you think.

Do it online

You can check the status of your case by logging on the Customer Portal. You will need your email address and the case reference number given to you when you originally submitted the online form.


If in the delivery of our services something went wrong or needs attention you can report it to us so that we can put it right: for example, you can use our online forms to report a missed refuse collection , missed recycling collection, fly tipping and so on.

Report it


Our online forms allow you to request services or information, for example you can request a replacement recycling box lid, street cleaning, or you can make a general enquiry in regard to the Electoral Register or check if you need planning permission for household development.

Request it


We accept online application for a number of licences, for example a temporary event notice or a camp site licence.

Apply for it


The services we accept online payments for are: council tax, business rates, housing and garage rents, sundry invoices, housing benefits invoices and car fines.

Pay for it

Official complaint

If you are unhappy with the quality of service you receive from East Devon District Council, or want to complain about the way the Council or its officers have dealt with you, please tell us by making an official complaint.

Freedom of Information Request

You can submit a freedom of information request to request any information created within the Council or received from elsewhere and held by the Council for any reason. It can include agendas, minutes, policies, reports and expenditure.
Some exemptions apply, where certain information should not be released to protect confidentiality. Please consult the freedom of information act page for further information.

Page last updated on 28 January 2015